Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
It's a great alternative to the full fat version of this creamy dessert. Since alcohol is high in calories, it's been substituted with almond extract, a great alternative to amaretto. If you don't want to bother with making the cake, a ready made angel cake works fine and it has less fat because it lacks the egg yolks. However the calorie content of angel food cake will be higher.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 4 tablespoons flour, sifted
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon amaretto extract (*)
- non-fat cooking spray
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon citric acid (lemon juice is fine)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (**)
- cocoa powder
- To make the cake:.
- Beat egg whites until foamy.
- Gradually add sugar, one tablespoon at a time.
- Beat until sugar dissolves and egg whites are glossy.
- Add the egg yolks and beat well.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder once and fold into the egg whites.
- Spray a jelly roll pan with cooking spray and layer it with parchment paper.
- Spray the parchment paper.
- Bake at 350°F for about 15 minutes, but watch carefully because this cake turns brown fast.
- When golden brown, remove from pan and let cool.
- Place the cooled cake in a glass dish.
- Dissolve coffee and the extract in hot water.
- Prick the cake with a toothpick and sprinkle coffee mixture all over cake.
- To make the cream:.
- Beat the cream cheese with milk until well blended, or pulse it in a food processor.
- Add the vanilla pudding and mix until blended, 30 seconds or so.
- Add the lemon juice and whirl it until thick.
- For a more fluffy cream you can fold in whipped topping, depending on how much volume you want.
- Put the cream cheese mixture on top of the cake and sift cocoa powder over it in an even layer.
- For a more elegant look, use a vegetable peeler to shave curls off of a bar of baking chocolate and sprinkle on top.
- Place in fridge until set which should take about 2 hours.
- *rum extract could be substituted.
- **if you can find fat-free farmers cheese, it works better, omit the lemon juice then because farmers cheese is a bit sour on its own.