Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
Traditional flavor with minimum dietary impact. TIP: if you like crusty stuffing, remove foil the last 15 minutes of baking.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 ounces sweet Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup mushroom, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery leaves, chopped (from inner celery ribs)
- 1 lb reduced-calorie whole wheat bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes and dried overnight (or in the oven)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups turkey broth or 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth, as needed
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- In a big skillet, brown the sausage bits gently in half the butte, reduce heat to medium.
- Add chopped or minced onions, mushrooms, celery, and celery leaves.
- Cook, stirring often, until the onions are golden, about 8 minutes.
- Scrape the vegetable mixture into a big bowl; mix in the bread cubes, parsley, poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Gradually stir in broth combined with the egg substitute, until the stuffing is evenly moistened but not soggy.
- Transfer stuffing to a lightly buttered casserole dish; drizzle with additional broth and remaining melted butter as desired, cover, and bake in a preheated 350° oven for 30-45 minutes.
This was very tasty, but a tiny bit on the dry side. When I make it again, I'll add a bit more broth. Great for Weight Watchers!!