Prep 24 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This is a real refreshing low fat dessert and easy to make too, orange Jell-O can be replace with any other flavor, but I find that orange seems to be the best --- plan ahead the tapioca needs to sit for 8 hours, or overnight:)
- 5 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup baby pearl tapioca
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup orange Jell-O, powder
- pineapple chunks (any amount desired) or fruit cocktail (any amount desired)
- 1 cup cool whip reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed (for garnish)
- Boil the water in a saucepan; add the tapioca.
- Soak the tapioca in the water for 8 hours, or overnight.
- The next day, boil for 10 minutes until almost clear.
- Add the sugar and Jell-O; let cool until stiff.
- Add in the fruit; mix.
- Top with whipped topping if desired.
- Divide into serving dishes; serve and enjoy!
This recipe has much better texture than others I've tried. I soaked my tapioca for 6 hours and it boiled up perfectly. I found this to be a little too sweet for my tastes, but it would be easy to use less sugar so this is a keeper for me.
This can also be made with two 3oz boxes tapioca pudding. Leave out the tapioca and sugar and lower water to 2-1/2 cups. Mix the pudding with 2-1/2 C. water and bring to boil, remove from heat and add jello. Cool and add fruit. I mix the whipped topping in the jello mixture and let it set up overnite.