Hopefully you will enjoy this as much as my family does. If you like spicy, bake the Jalapenos on top of the casserole! For those of you that aren't looking for "low fat" you may used ground hamburger in place of the ground turkey.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1 cup ortega thick and smooth taco sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 (4 ounce) can chilies, drained
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix (I prefer Ortega)
- 12 hard taco shells (broken, divided in half)
- 1/2 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese (I prefer Kraft) or 1/2 cup fat-free cheddar cheese (I prefer Kraft)
- 1/2 cup shredded low fat sharp cheddar cheese (I prefer Kraft) or 1/2 cup fat free sharp cheddar cheese (I prefer Kraft)
- 1 cup shredded low-fat monterey jack and colby cheese (I prefer Kraft) or 1 cup fat free monterey jack cheese (I prefer Kraft) or 1 cup colby mix cheese (I prefer Kraft)
- 1 small tomato, chopped (for garnish) (optional)
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion (for garnish) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon low-fat sour cream (optional) or 1 teaspoon fat free sour cream (optional)
- 1/4 cup sliced or diced jalapeno pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup orange bell pepper (for color) (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2Grease 11x7 inch baking dish.
- 3Brown turkey and chopped onion in frying pan.
- 4Drain and return to pan.
- 5Add water, taco sauce, taco seasoning,and chiles. Stir.
- 6Simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- 7In greased baking dish, layer half of the taco shells in the bottom.
- 8Layer half of the meat on top of shells.
- 9Sprinkle the mild and sharp cheddar cheese over meat layer.
- 10Layer remainder of taco shells over the cheese.
- 11Layer remainder of meat on top of shells.
- 12Sprinkle Monterey/Colby mix on top.
- 13Arrange tomatoes, green onions, and orange pepper on top.
- 14Bake for 20-25 minutes, until bubbly and cheese is melted.
- 15Remove from oven.
- 16Serve with jalapenos and sour cream.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Low Fat Taco Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (403 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 494.3
- Calories from Fat 201
- Total Fat 22.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 96.1 mg
- Sodium 1627.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 32.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-fat monterey jack and colby cheese