Recipe by Leona
Hopefully you will enjoy this as much as my family does. If you like spicy, bake the Jalapenos on top of the casserole! For those of you that aren't looking for "low fat" you may used ground hamburger in place of the ground turkey.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1 cup ortega thick and smooth taco sauce
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 (4 ounce) can chilies, drained
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix (I prefer Ortega)
- 12 hard taco shells (broken, divided in half)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese (I prefer Kraft) or 1⁄2 cup fat-free cheddar cheese (I prefer Kraft)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded low fat sharp cheddar cheese (I prefer Kraft) or 1⁄2 cup fat free sharp cheddar cheese (I prefer Kraft)
- 1 cup shredded low-fat monterey jack and colby cheese (I prefer Kraft) or 1 cup fat free monterey jack cheese (I prefer Kraft) or 1 cup colby mix cheese (I prefer Kraft)
- 1 small tomatoes, chopped (for garnish) (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion (for garnish) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon low-fat sour cream (optional) or 1 teaspoon fat free sour cream (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup sliced or diced jalapeno pepper (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup orange bell pepper (for color) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease 11x7 inch baking dish.
- Brown turkey and chopped onion in frying pan.
- Drain and return to pan.
- Add water, taco sauce, taco seasoning,and chiles. Stir.
- Simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- In greased baking dish, layer half of the taco shells in the bottom.
- Layer half of the meat on top of shells.
- Sprinkle the mild and sharp cheddar cheese over meat layer.
- Layer remainder of taco shells over the cheese.
- Layer remainder of meat on top of shells.
- Sprinkle Monterey/Colby mix on top.
- Arrange tomatoes, green onions, and orange pepper on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven.
- Serve with jalapenos and sour cream.