Recipe by abloom69
Developed by a friend who found out she was a diabetic and has changed favorite recipes to suit her new dietary requirements. Low fat. No sugar.
Top Review by Jellyqueen
We love bars and squares and are really trying to get into the habit of finding the lowfat recipes when possible. This recipe works wonderful with those fresh blueberries that are beginning to get ripe on our blueberrry bushes.
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fruit, concentrate
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups fresh blueberries or 1 1⁄4 cups frozen blueberries
- 1⁄4 cup no-sugar-added apricot jam
- 1 tablespoon orange juice or 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon margarine or 1 teaspoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate container mix the fruit concentrate, milk and extract until blended well. Pour the liquid ingredients into flour mixture and mix until smooth. Don't overbeat.
- Place a 9 inch square baking pan in oven with the teaspoon of margarine until melted. Swirl the pan around until it coats pan.
- Pour batter into pan and sprinkle evenly with blueberries.
- Bake for about 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Mix the jam with the water. Heat until melted. Brush the top with the glaze when it comes out of the oven.
- Cut into 9 squares and serve warm.
- ***Fruit concentrate is a available at health food stores.
- ***Can also use cranberries, strawberries, or sliced peaches.