Recipe by windhorse23
I no longer remember where I got this recipe. I've had it for many years. I don't make it often because it's labor-intensive, but every time I make it, there are no leftovers. My squash-hating children love it. You can substitute multiple ingredients (e.g. ground beef for the turkey, onion for the scallions, marinara sauce for the tomato sauce, egg beaters for the egg, even yellow squash for the zucchini.)
Top Review by TLashier
This was delicious! I am low carbing, so omitted the breadcrumbs and substituted mushrooms. It is not so labor-intensive...I did use the melon baller to get the pulp out and it took no time at all. I highly recommend this recipe for a tasty way of getting in my daily veggies with nice textures to satisfy!
- 5 medium zucchini (6 to 8 inches each)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb lean ground turkey (at least 93% fat free)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- dried basil
- dried oregano
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the zucchini lengthwise. Scoop out the pulp and chop it. (This is the hardest part, and I've never come up with an easy way to do it.).
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the scallions and garlic, and saute for 3 minutes. The add the zucchini pulp and saute another 3 minutes. Drain the mixture in a colander and set aside.
- In the same skillet saute the turkey until it is cooked. Drain it in the colander with the zucchini pulp.
- Pour the tomato sauce into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Place the zucchini boats in the sauce.
- In a large bowl, combine the turkey-zucchini mixture, the egg, breadcrumbs, crushed red pepper, basil and oregano, or any other combination of Italian seasonings you prefer. (You can also use seasoned breadcrumbs if you like.) Mix well and spoon into the zucchini boats. Top with parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 minutes more.