A deliciously low-fat French toast recipe. For a change of taste, top fruit and cream cheese-filled French toast with a drizzle of maple syrup in place of the honey or preserves.
- 1⁄2 cup fat free cream cheese (about 5 oz.)
- 2 tablespoons fruit preserves, whatever flavor you prefer
- 8 slices French bread, 1-inch thick
- 2 slightly beaten egg whites
- 1 beaten egg
- 3⁄4 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1⁄2 cup honey or 1⁄2 cup fruit preserves, of your choice
- sifted powdered sugar (optional)
- In a small bowl stir together cream cheese and the 2 tablespoons of preserves. Using a serrated knife, cut a pocket in each bread slice by making a cut in the crust top of each slice from the top almost to the bottom. Fill each pocket with some of the cream cheese mixture.
- In a shallow bowl beat together the egg whites, whole egg, milk, vanilla, and apple pie spice. Coat an unheated nonstick griddle or large skillet with cooking spray. Preheat over medium heat.
- Dip bread slices into egg mixture, coating both sides. Cook bread slices on hot griddle about 3 minutes or until golden brown, turning once to cook second sides.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan heat the 1/2 cup fruit preserves of your choice (if using) until melted, stirring frequently. If desired, sift with powdered sugar. Serve melted preserves or honey with French toast.