Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got the idea from a friend at work and made my own version. Totally experimental, but it's smelling good as it's baking in our oven anyway...
- 4 bananas, very ripe
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Mash bananas in large bowl. Add hulled strawberries and mash as well.
- Combine with eggs, applesauce, oil, vanilla and sugar. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl, add to banana strawberry mixture. Mix in chopped walnuts last.
- Spoon batter into 2 standard sized loaf pans, or three medium-sized pans which have been lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick stuck in center of pans comes out clean.
Your experiment was a good one - this bread is great! Not too sweet with the flavor of the banana and strawberry shining through. I made half of the recipe in 3 mini loaf pans. Thanks for sharing your recipe!