Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Modification of a recipe found on the back of a package of spinach. It is very good if you like vegetable casseroles, but without the fat!
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms, lightly sauteed in margarine & chopped garlic
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can fat-free cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 egg whites, well beaten
- salt and pepper
- Microwave spinach & broccoli as per package directions; drain well.
- Meanwhile, saute mushrooms in light margarine & crushed garlic.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine soup, mayo, egg whites and seasonings.
- Add cooked vegies, including mushrooms.
- Mix well.
- Pour mixture into an 8x8 pan which has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 for about 35-40 minutes, or until firm.
Great recipe to make with pantry ingredients I had on hand. I did sub sour cream for the mayo, but the flavor was still great and it is an easy casserole to assemble ahead and then pop in the oven at dinner time.
I really enjoyed this recipe. I added the cayenne pepper and a little red pepper. I used 1/4 cup fat free mayo and 1/4 vegenaise and sprinkled 1 cup of monterey jack cheese on top before baking it.
This unfortunately did not go over very well with my family. They said it was a bit bland so the cayenne pepper is probably a good addition as mentioned in the previous review. I didn't care for the mayonnaise taste. I'd probably omit it and try some low-fat cheese instead. Thank you for the healthy recipe.