Prep 25 mins
Cook 55 mins
Low fat, not low taste!!! This is one marvellously creamy rhubarb pie with a crunchy crumb topping. Modified from Taste of Home
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pastry shells
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup fat free sour cream
- 1 egg
- 4 cups fresh rhubarb, chopped (or frozen, chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup quick oats
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated oranges or 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon peel
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg; beat in sour cream and egg.
- Gently fold in rhubarb.
- Pour into pastry shell.
- For the topping, combine oats, brown sugar, margarine, and flour; cut in the margarine until mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle the topping over the filling.
- Bake at 400F for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350F and bake for 35-40 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
- Cool pie on a rack, serve warm** or cool.
- **NOTE slicing this pie fresh out of the oven while still warm will be a little more difficult as the sour cream is still soft; if you want a nice slice that holds together, refrigerate the pie till cool then slice and heat a bit in the microwave if you would like it served warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
This was a very yummy pie! I used Shake-A-Pie Crust to make the crust. I didn't have 4 cups of rhubarb, so I used a combination of wild blueberries and fresh strawberries to make up the difference - then I lowered the sugar a bit. The orange zest was a nice addition to the topping. Made for ZWT4.
Wonderful! Very tasty!! Creamy filling & lovely crunchy topping!! No reason to look for another rhubarb pie recipe.
Excellent pie! I baked it the full amount of time and the last 20 minutes I put a strip of foil along the outside crust so that it would not get too dark. Thanks LUv 2 BaKe. Made For ZWT4 the Flying Dutchess'.