Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a modification of another recipe that calls for the standard butter, white wine and sherry. I substituted cooking spray for the butter, and used a guiness stout in place of the wine and sherry.
- 4 large sweet onions
- 12 ounces stout beer
- 43 1⁄2 ounces beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Slice onions thinly, and saute in a skillet liberally sprayed with cooking spray (i.e., Pam, etc.), until limp and lightly carmelized.
- Place in crock pot, add stout, broth, and worcestershire sauce, crush garlic and add, stir well.
- Cook 4-6 hours on high heat, or 6-8 on low.
- Top with slice of dense artisan bread or crostini and a slice of lowfat Provolone, place briefly under a broiler to melt and brown cheese, and serve.