1/1 Photo of Low Fat Shepherd's Pie!
I got this recipe from the About.com Low Fat Blog and modified it a little bit. My boyfriend, who studied for a year abroad in England, said that his English roommates would be proud! For a twist and some more color, try it with sweet potatoes!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup fat free low-sodium beef broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can peas, drained
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch slices
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon light butter
- 1In a large saucepan or wok, saute carrots and onion in oil on medium-low heat until soft (about 10 minutes).
- 2Turn heat up to medium, and add in ground beef. Cook until no longer pink.
- 3Add in Worcestershire sauce, beef broth, tomato paste, peas, and spices. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- 4While sauce is simmering, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add in potatoes. Cook for about 15-20 minutes until tender. Drain water, add in butter and milk, and mash with a potato masher.
- 5Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 6Pour meat and vegetable mixture into a 13x9 casserole baking dish. Top with mashed potatoes.
- 7Bake in oven for about 20 minutes until potato topping begins to golden up.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Low Fat Shepherd's Pie!
Serving Size: 1 (407 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 365.2
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 50.2 mg
- Sodium 256.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.0 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 25.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fat free low-sodium beef broth