Prep 2 hrs
Cook 18 mins
From the Recipe Book "Crazy Plates", this flat bread is a lovely change from your standard crusty rolls or french bread - it pairs great with a spaghetti or other saucy pasta main. DH and I are also terribly guilty of smothering slices with butter and eating the bread as a snack the next day as it re-heats quite well. I've made this with leftover mash, garlic and cheese mash, parm and chive mash, skins on, skins off - it works with anything! I also tend to add quite a bit more parm.... Prep time includes rising.
- 2 tablespoons dried rosemary (divided)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 (2 1/4 teaspoon) package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (I use EVOO)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (I use EVOO)
- 6 ounces potatoes, peeled, boiled, mashed (1 cup mash, see notes above)
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour (plus extra for dusting work surface)
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, minced (I use finely-roughly chopped, personal preference)
- nonstick cooking spray
- Pour the boiling water over ONE tbsp dried rosemary in a small bowl, and let cool to lukewarm (about 20 minutes).
- Strain and reserve the water, discarding the rosemary.
- Stir honey into the water, pour over the yeast in a large bowl and let stand until foamy (5-10 mins).
- Stir salt and ONE tbsp of olive oil into the yeast mixture.
- Add the mashed potatoes and enough flour to make a useable dough, turning the mixture out onto a floured surface and kneading until smooth and elastic (about 5 mins).
- Spray a large bowl with non-stick spray and place the dough inside. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place until double in size (about an hour).
- Punch the dough down and knead 1 minute, adding a bit of flour if the dough is very sticky.
- Spray a 17x11 baking sheet with non-stick spray and pat dough to the edges of the pan (or close enough).
- Brush with the remaining 2 tsp of olive oil, and sprinkle on parmesan cheese, red onions and the remaining 1 tbsp of rosemary.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and allow to rise 30 minute.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Bake the focaccia 16-18 mins until puffy and golden.
- Cool slightly on cooling rack.
- Slice and serve warm.