I really love rice. There are numerous ways to prepare rice and I tend to vary and change all the time. This dish is very easy to prepare, kids just love it, and it's suitable for almost every meal and every occasion.
- 2 cups basmati rice (well rinsed and drained)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion (chopped)
- 3 3⁄4 cups water (cold)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt (or according to taste)
- 1 tablespoon chicken consomme (Chicken Stile Consomme Instant Soup & Seasoning Mix, Pareve)
- 285 g peas and carrots
- 20 thyme leaves (optional)
- Warm oil in pot. Do not over heat!
- Add onion and reduce heat, cover and slowly allow onion to golden. If needed, occasionally add 1 Tbs boiled water to prevent burn).
- Add rice, and fry while stirring.
- Add water, salt, consomme, thyme (if desired) and peas & carrots.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce to the lowest heat, cover with clean dry kitchen towel and cover with lid.
- Cook for 12 minutes and take off the stove. Leave covered for additional 5 minutes.
- Do not open until cooking is done.
- Fluff gently with fork before serving.
Very easy rice dish to prepare. Came out great. I served this dish with Low Fat Chicken in Coke Gravy (Kosher-Meat) Low Fat Chicken in Coke Gravy (Kosher-Meat). A nice dish to add from pick a chef...