Recipe by Dan
Thanksgiving is coming up, and we all know what that means! Food! Hey, we all love pumpkin pie, right? Why not make it low-fat? What? You didn't think that it could be done? Well feast your eyes (and mouth) on this!
Top Review by Jaime.Dawn
4.5 stars...actually! This pie was a surprising treat! The texture was identical to a normal pumpkin pie recipe. I even cut back to 1/2 cup of sugar and it was still plenty sweet. My only complaint was that the batter was too much for a 9-inch pie pan by quite a bit. Other than that - great Holiday alternative!
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1 pinch clove, ground
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1 1⁄2 cups evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange rind, grated
- 3 egg whites, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 9 inches low-fat pie shells, unbaked (graham cracker is fine)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves
- pumpkin and stir well
- Add vanilla, evaporated milk, orange rind and egg whites
- Beat with an electric mixer until smooth
- Fold in orange juice
- Pour into unbaked pie shell bake for 10 minutes
- Reduce heat to 325F and bake for 45 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean.