Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
Thanksgiving is coming up, and we all know what that means! Food! Hey, we all love pumpkin pie, right? Why not make it low-fat? What? You didn't think that it could be done? Well feast your eyes (and mouth) on this!
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1 pinch clove, ground
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1 1⁄2 cups evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange rind, grated
- 3 egg whites, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 9 inches low-fat pie shells, unbaked (graham cracker is fine)
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves
- pumpkin and stir well
- Add vanilla, evaporated milk, orange rind and egg whites
- Beat with an electric mixer until smooth
- Fold in orange juice
- Pour into unbaked pie shell bake for 10 minutes
- Reduce heat to 325F and bake for 45 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean.
4.5 stars...actually! This pie was a surprising treat! The texture was identical to a normal pumpkin pie recipe. I even cut back to 1/2 cup of sugar and it was still plenty sweet. My only complaint was that the batter was too much for a 9-inch pie pan by quite a bit. Other than that - great Holiday alternative!
Fabulous pumpkin pie thanks for low fat calorie saving recipe that tastes fattening, Jersey Girl
My family & I did not care for this pie. You could taste the OJ & they didn't like the texture. We all prefer the typical pumpkin pie recipe with the only change of Splenda to replace the sugar so that the diabetics in the family can enjoy it as well.