Recipe by ChipotleChick
This sounds very interesting to me. Like a lowfat potato cake-bake. You can use applesauce instead of the pear sauce, as the pear sauce seems like quite a bit of work for a similar result. Serve this with spring mix lettuce and a light citrus dressing, and you have a wonderful vegetarian lowfat supper! Don't fret, the prep time includes the making of the pear sauce. From Betty Crocker's New Choices Cookbook.
Top Review by chia
my family thought this was okay but they weren't wild about it. they thought it was bland and needed more spice. i didn't use low fat ingredients, i think some oil in the mix would have helped the consistancy. this is their rating
- 2 cups chopped peeled ripe bosc pears
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons thawed frozen apple juice concentrate
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 egg whites
- 4 cups shredded sweet potatoes
- 4 cups shredded white potatoes
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Make Pear Sauce (If you want to skip this step, applesauce is a suitable substitute): Cover and cook pear sauce ingredients in a 1 qt saucepan for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Stir on occasion.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook about 30 minutes longer, stirring on occasion, until pears are very tender.
- Place the mixture in a blender or food processor.
- Pulse until chunky.
- Make Potato Cake: Heat oven to 375.
- Spray 13x9x2 inch pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, mix cheese, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, marjoram, and egg whites.
- Stir in onion and potatoes.
- Spread into the prepared pan.
- Bake 45 minutes, until potatoes are tender and golden brown.
- Serve with pear sauce or applesauce, and sour cream.