Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This sounds very interesting to me. Like a lowfat potato cake-bake. You can use applesauce instead of the pear sauce, as the pear sauce seems like quite a bit of work for a similar result. Serve this with spring mix lettuce and a light citrus dressing, and you have a wonderful vegetarian lowfat supper! Don't fret, the prep time includes the making of the pear sauce. From Betty Crocker's New Choices Cookbook.
- 2 cups chopped peeled ripe bosc pears
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons thawed frozen apple juice concentrate
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 egg whites
- 4 cups shredded sweet potatoes
- 4 cups shredded white potatoes
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat sour cream
- Make Pear Sauce (If you want to skip this step, applesauce is a suitable substitute): Cover and cook pear sauce ingredients in a 1 qt saucepan for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Stir on occasion.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook about 30 minutes longer, stirring on occasion, until pears are very tender.
- Place the mixture in a blender or food processor.
- Pulse until chunky.
- Make Potato Cake: Heat oven to 375.
- Spray 13x9x2 inch pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, mix cheese, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, marjoram, and egg whites.
- Stir in onion and potatoes.
- Spread into the prepared pan.
- Bake 45 minutes, until potatoes are tender and golden brown.
- Serve with pear sauce or applesauce, and sour cream.