Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I came up with this one cold winter day and have shared it with many people. It is the quickest and best potato soup i have ever had.
- 6 cups diced potatoes (I prefer larger chunks)
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 (32 ounce) can chicken broth (reserve 1 cup for gravy)
- 2 slices deli ham, 1/2 inch thick, diced
- mckormicks country gravy mix
- Put all ingredients into a large pot and bring to a boil for about 5 minutes, turn to simmer.
- In a separate container whisk in packet of country gravy mix while broth is cold.
- Add broth and gravy to pot and simmer for about one hour.
I followed your recipe but made it lower in calories and carbs by using cauliflower, oh my this is so good - thanks for the idea.
As my first attempt at potato soup, this came out pretty good! Instead of onion, I used two chopped leeks which were much milder in flavor. However, I made the mistake of using red (waxy-type) potatoes instead of white (starchy) potatoes -- the red potatoes held their shape even after 7 hours in the crockpot ... not that big of a deal, since the flavor was still fantastic. I just used my immersion blender to puree it further. Even after that, the soup was still a little thin (b/c of the type of potato I used), so I added a few tablespoons of instant potato flakes & that did the trick! I didn't have any ham on hand, so I added a little hickory salt instead, and some parsley flakes -- delish! Next time I make this I will use the right kind of potato, though! Thanks for posting -M =)
Love it but we make it without the veggies and ham, still fantastic!!!