1/1 Photo of Low Fat Potato Leek Soup
This is the simple Potato Leek Soup I like to make in big batches the day after I roast a chicken. One chicken carcass usually yields about 8 cups of broth which works perfectly for this recipe. I developed it using inspiration from a few online recipes but deliberately took out the usual milk and reduced the butter. I also didn't want too many complicated ingredients to prepare - so kept the spices to a minimum. For safety you will need to use a pressure cooker if you plan to jar and preserve it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 cups homemade chicken broth (be sure to skim the fat off first, you can also substitute any homemade broth if desired)
- 6 cups potatoes (peeled and cubed, any variety will do)
- 4 cups leeks (diced, just use the whites with a bit of the green)
- 6 tablespoons butter (can use margarine)
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill leaves (very finely minced)
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram (optional)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 11. Get a big pot that will fit all the ingredients and warm butter or margarine on medium heat till it melts.
- 22. Toss in the leeks and stir fry on medium for 5 minutes.
- 33. Add in the potato cubes and stir fry on medium for another 5 minutes.
- 44. Add in the broth and bring to a boil on high heat while slowly stirring, then immediately reduce to medium low and allow to simmer for 15 minutes or until the potato cubes are just tender.
- 55. Reduce heat to very low so the soup does not cool off.
- 66. Scoop 50% of the soup with potato cubes into blender and puree.
- 77. Put the pureed soup back in the pot and stir.
- 88. Add in the dill, marjoram, salt and pepper.
- 99. Simmer until ready to serve or put in jars for preserving. (you must use a pressure cooker - 10lbs @ 45 minutes).
- 1010. When serving you can garnish with crumbled bacon or chopped dill.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Low Fat Potato Leek Soup
Serving Size: 1 (195 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 152.8
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 16.1 mg
- Sodium 582.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 5.7 g