Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
Inspired by a magazine, TRUE! Then took a little bit different twist too! GREAT for a weekend when want to indulge, LOW fat and tasty without giving your body the bulge :)
- 900 g potatoes
- 1 tablespoon stock
- 1 red onion
- 100 g low-fat bacon
- 1 cup low-fat cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- cooking spray
- Peel potatoes and cut in half; place in large saucepan and cook uncovered for 15 - 20 minutes until soft; mash.
- Fine dice onion and bacon; Spray frypan with cooking oil and sauté both for 5 minutes.
- NOTE: I used Weight Watchers bacon.
- Add above mixture, egg (slightly beaten), cheese and parsley to potato mash; season with pepper.
- Using 1/2 cup of potato mixture, roll slightly in breadcrumbs; place on a plate and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Spray frypan with cooking oil and cook patties 5 minutes of until golden brown on both sides.
- NOTE: I served them with rocket, feta and tomato with scrambled eggs on top with apple cinnamon fruit slice and fat-free strawberry jam.
Well, these were nifty little treats! More like a mashed potato patty than hash browns, but terrific flavor. Almost a loaded baked potato! I used fresh parsley and regular bacon (its what we had in the freezer). I also left out the stock. I think these would go perfect with grilled steak or roasted chicken.
Yum! I really enjoyed the fluffy and light texture with nice little crispy bacon surprises throughout. I served two large ones with a mixed salad for dinner.