This is a recipe I received from Penzey's along with a sample of their Pizza Seasoning. Tasty and filling, not to mention that pizza and diet don't normally go together, yet they do here. 1 oz. mozzarella and 1 oz. turkey per pita make them really low in fat and calories, 2 oz. each is still right in there for a healthy meal. Fast, easy, and delicious! (Or, make them your own by adding your favorite pizza toppings and cheeses-however, the calories won't be the same. I like to brown my turkey w/ the veggies.) Great for kids, great for parties. They can be put together ahead of time and refrigerated until you are ready to pop them in the oven. You can freeze them, too! Enjoy!!!
My Private Note
pita pi ...
Units: US | Metric
- 8 regular pita bread rounds (not the pocket type)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 -5 teaspoons pizza seasoning, divided (or your favorite Italian spices)
- 8 ounces ground turkey (up to 16 ounces)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 small onion, minced (optional)
- 8 mushrooms, sliced thin (optional)
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives (optional)
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese (up to 16 ounces)
- 1Preheat oven to 425°F.
- 2Place pita rounds on cookie sheet in single layer (use 2 if need be).
- 3Mix tomato sauce with 1-2 teaspoons Pizza Seasoning, set aside. (You can also use your favorite Italian spices or your favorite pizza sauce.).
- 4Cook ground turkey in skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it up as it cooks. Sprinkle with 2-3 teaspoons Pizza Seasoning and mix well.
- 5Add water, stir, and let simmer until the turkey absorbs all the water, about 5 minutes.
- 6Spread each pita w/ about 1/4 cup sauce. Sprinkle w/ minced onion, sliced mushrooms, black olives, or any veggie you like. Sprinkle w/ cooked turkey, then top w/ an even layer of shredded cheese.
- 7Cook for about 10 minutes until heated through and cheese is bubbly and brown. (Start checking at about 5 minutes just to make sure you don't overcook-depends on the amount of toppings and cheese you use and your oven.).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Low-Fat Pita Pizzas
Serving Size: 1 (208 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 309.4
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 44.7 mg
- Sodium 806.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 17.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: