Recipe by Mrs.Jack
This is a recipe I received from Penzey's along with a sample of their Pizza Seasoning. Tasty and filling, not to mention that pizza and diet don't normally go together, yet they do here. 1 oz. mozzarella and 1 oz. turkey per pita make them really low in fat and calories, 2 oz. each is still right in there for a healthy meal. Fast, easy, and delicious! (Or, make them your own by adding your favorite pizza toppings and cheeses-however, the calories won't be the same. I like to brown my turkey w/ the veggies.) Great for kids, great for parties. They can be put together ahead of time and refrigerated until you are ready to pop them in the oven. You can freeze them, too! Enjoy!!!
- 8 regular pita bread rounds (not the pocket type)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 -5 teaspoons pizza seasoning, divided (or your favorite Italian spices)
- 8 ounces ground turkey (up to 16 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 small onion, minced (optional)
- 8 mushrooms, sliced thin (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced black olives (optional)
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese (up to 16 ounces)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place pita rounds on cookie sheet in single layer (use 2 if need be).
- Mix tomato sauce with 1-2 teaspoons Pizza Seasoning, set aside. (You can also use your favorite Italian spices or your favorite pizza sauce.).
- Cook ground turkey in skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it up as it cooks. Sprinkle with 2-3 teaspoons Pizza Seasoning and mix well.
- Add water, stir, and let simmer until the turkey absorbs all the water, about 5 minutes.
- Spread each pita w/ about 1/4 cup sauce. Sprinkle w/ minced onion, sliced mushrooms, black olives, or any veggie you like. Sprinkle w/ cooked turkey, then top w/ an even layer of shredded cheese.
- Cook for about 10 minutes until heated through and cheese is bubbly and brown. (Start checking at about 5 minutes just to make sure you don't overcook-depends on the amount of toppings and cheese you use and your oven.).