Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Pesto sauce is great, but it usually has olive oil, not chicken broth. This recipe substitutes with chicken broth.
- 2⁄3 cup chicken broth or 2⁄3 cup vegetable stock
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- Combine stock and garlic and heat in the microwave on high for 5 minutes (or heat on the stove). Allow to cool.
- Chop basil in food processor. Add cooled stock, Parmesan cheese and pine nuts. Whirl until everything is finely chopped and blended.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta of your choice. Toss sauce with pasta. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese if desired. Use as a topping for fish, chicken or potatoes also. Makes 4 servings.
When I made this recipe up, I was not too sure about it....it was very broth-y, BUT when I let it "set up" it was JUST RIGHT !
I used it in an Antipasto-Style Penne recipe last night and I could not have been more pleased !
Thank you for sharing this one ! I know I will use it over and over and over !
Used this recipe to make Shrimp Pesto Pasta. It is such a good low fat alternative to traditional pesto sauce. Lots of flavor without all of the oil. I agree with the other reviewers to add a little less broth so it will be thicker. Next time we're trying it on pizza.
I roasted the garlic and toasted the pine nuts. I also used less broth- just added it in until I was happy with the consistency. My whole family loved this over cauliflower and requested it again tonight.