Recipe by mickeydownunder
Inspired by the Internet, TRUE! Ingredients J-U-M-P-E-D out at me too! EXACTLY what I wanted today! This recipe is MORE than OK!!!
Top Review by Redsie
Dec. 2008:This is easy, fast and tasty!! Used penne pasta and diced tomatoes. Added a bit of crushed red pepper and used low-fat cottage cheese instead of ricotta. Thanks mickey! :) October 2009: made this again and loved it again! :)
- 1⁄2 lb spiral shaped pasta
- 1⁄2 red onion
- 3 -4 garlic cloves
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat cheese
- 1⁄3 cup low-fat parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup pesto sauce
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- COOK pasta (your choice) in water for 10 minutes; will be partially cooked.
- NOTE: You do NOT need to add salt or oil if watching fat content; just stir and DRAIN.
- Finely dice red onion.
- Spray pan with oil and cook onions 5 minutes until soft, ADD diced garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- ADD crushed tomatoes, black pepper and bay leaf.
- SIMMER 10 - 15 minutes until slightly thicker.
- Spray 8 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Place 1/2 pasta on bottom.
- In small bowl, mix ricotta, pesto, 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese and half of the parmesan cheese.
- Place mixture on top of pasta and 1/3 of tomatoe sauce mixture.
- TOP with rest of pasta.
- TOP with rest of sauce.
- TOP with rest of mozzerella and parm cheese.
- BAKE in 180 degree oven for about 35- 40 minutes covered.
- NOTE: Adjust garlic to YOUR taste; I used 2 tablespoons.
- NOTE: I also use the lowest fat cheese I can find.
- NOTE: Pesto can be store bought; look at fat content on labels as can vary significantly.
- NOTE: If you like your sauce slightly thicker, add 1 - 2 tablespoons of tomato paste.
- NOTE: Is a recipe that you might have to show control eating like me! 1 cup = my portion approximately.
- I served with rocket, tomato and feta cheese salad with balsamic vinegar.