Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a low fat version of Fabulous Penne a La Vodka, requested by Mosma in the "Lighten up your favorite comfort food" game. If you don't care for mushrooms, just omit them.
- 22.18 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 396.89 g can crushed tomatoes (or other canned tomatoes, pureed in a food processor)
- 1.23 ml dried oregano
- 59.14 ml fresh basil leaves, sliced or 1.23 ml dried basil leaves
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 226.79 g fresh white mushrooms, sliced, about 3 cups
- 0.59 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 29.58 ml tomato paste
- 59.14 ml vodka
- 236.59 ml nonfat milk or 236.59 ml fat-free half-and-half
- 340.19 g whole wheat penne or 340.19 g whole wheat rigatoni
- 28.39 ml dry parmesan cheese
- fresh basil, sliced, to garnish
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil over medium to medium high heat in a large saucepan. Saute onion until starting to brown, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper. Simmer on low to medium low heat for 10 minutes.
- During this time, heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Saute the mushrooms and hot pepper flakes about 5 minutes. Reserve pan.
- Add tomato paste to tomato sauce and mix well. Stir in vodka and mushrooms and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Start water to boil for pasta.
- Add milk to sauce and incorporate well. Cook another 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Keep sauce at a low simmer while cooking pasta.
- Cook whole wheat pasta until al dente, about 15 minutes. Drain pasta.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet (you can use the same pan you cooked the mushrooms in). Add pasta and stir to glaze. Add parmesan cheese and mix thoroughly. Stir in sauce. Garnish with basil, and serve.
Very good!! Will make this again. Only thing I did different was to add some garlic. Thanks for sharing a great recipe!! FYI - One of those little bottles of Vodka you get at the liquor store measures 1/4 c exactly. The last one I bought was about $1.00.
I was searching and searching for a lowfat vodka sauce and lo and behold! I added a ton of garlic because I am a garlic-girl but other than that, my mom (yes, my MOM) raved about this as the best thing I've ever made. So, thanks! This one's a keeper! Ps. Makes for a great pre-race pasta dinner!
This was delicious! I enjoyed the spicy yet creamy taste. A keeper, for sure.