1/5 Photos of Low Fat Penne a La Vodka
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (or other canned tomatoes, pureed in a food processor)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, sliced or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces fresh white mushrooms, sliced, about 3 cups
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 1 cup nonfat milk or 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 3/4 lb whole wheat penne or 3/4 lb whole wheat rigatoni
- 1/8 cup dry parmesan cheese
- fresh basil, sliced, to garnish
- 1Heat 2 teaspoons of oil over medium to medium high heat in a large saucepan. Saute onion until starting to brown, about 5-6 minutes.
- 2Add crushed tomatoes, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper. Simmer on low to medium low heat for 10 minutes.
- 3During this time, heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Saute the mushrooms and hot pepper flakes about 5 minutes. Reserve pan.
- 4Add tomato paste to tomato sauce and mix well. Stir in vodka and mushrooms and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- 5Start water to boil for pasta.
- 6Add milk to sauce and incorporate well. Cook another 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Keep sauce at a low simmer while cooking pasta.
- 7Cook whole wheat pasta until al dente, about 15 minutes. Drain pasta.
- 8Heat 1/2 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet (you can use the same pan you cooked the mushrooms in). Add pasta and stir to glaze. Add parmesan cheese and mix thoroughly. Stir in sauce. Garnish with basil, and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Low Fat Penne a La Vodka
Serving Size: 1 (364 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 471.8
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 3.9 mg
- Sodium 424.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.4 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 19.9 g