This is a low fat version of Fabulous Penne a La Vodka, requested by Mosma in the "Lighten up your favorite comfort food" game. If you don't care for mushrooms, just omit them.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (or other canned tomatoes, pureed in a food processor)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaves, sliced or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces fresh white mushrooms, sliced, about 3 cups
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup vodka
- 1 cup nonfat milk or 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 3⁄4 lb whole wheat penne or 3⁄4 lb whole wheat rigatoni
- 1⁄8 cup dry parmesan cheese
- fresh basil, sliced, to garnish
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil over medium to medium high heat in a large saucepan. Saute onion until starting to brown, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper. Simmer on low to medium low heat for 10 minutes.
- During this time, heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Saute the mushrooms and hot pepper flakes about 5 minutes. Reserve pan.
- Add tomato paste to tomato sauce and mix well. Stir in vodka and mushrooms and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Start water to boil for pasta.
- Add milk to sauce and incorporate well. Cook another 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Keep sauce at a low simmer while cooking pasta.
- Cook whole wheat pasta until al dente, about 15 minutes. Drain pasta.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet (you can use the same pan you cooked the mushrooms in). Add pasta and stir to glaze. Add parmesan cheese and mix thoroughly. Stir in sauce. Garnish with basil, and serve.