Low in fat and high in fiber! We added some diced ham leftover from Easter but even without it this has lots of protein and is quite filling for 2-3 people. Originally from Light & Tasty.
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can fat-free vegetable broth
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons plain fat-free yogurt (optional) or 2 teaspoons nonfat sour cream, to garnish (optional)
- In a small saucepan, bring water and quinoa to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for approximately 12 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Stir in broth and peas. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for five minutes or until peas are tender.
- In a blender or food processor, puree soup until smooth. If you are doubling the recipe, you may need to do this in batches.
- Return all to the pan. Stir in the salt, pepper and quinoa (and diced ham if adding); heat through.
- Garnish each serving with 1 teaspoon yogurt or sour cream if desired.
- For Vegetarian use the vegetable broth and for vegan omit the yogurt/sour cream.
Delicious! The best pea soup I have had in a LONG time! The quinoa gives it a great texture. I have already shared this recipe :)
Everyone (including the kids) loved this! My favorite part is the awesome color. Tripled the recipe and used vegan sour cream. Thanks for a quick dinner!
A perfect soup to make when you haven't been to the supermarket for a while... Healthy, flavorful and quick. I topped mine with some cooked turkey bacon for some smokiness and it was delicious and satisfying. Thank you.