Recipe by FLKeysJen
Low in fat and high in fiber! We added some diced ham leftover from Easter but even without it this has lots of protein and is quite filling for 2-3 people. Originally from Light & Tasty.
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can fat-free vegetable broth
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons plain fat-free yogurt (optional) or 2 teaspoons nonfat sour cream, to garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small saucepan, bring water and quinoa to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for approximately 12 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Stir in broth and peas. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for five minutes or until peas are tender.
- In a blender or food processor, puree soup until smooth. If you are doubling the recipe, you may need to do this in batches.
- Return all to the pan. Stir in the salt, pepper and quinoa (and diced ham if adding); heat through.
- Garnish each serving with 1 teaspoon yogurt or sour cream if desired.
- For Vegetarian use the vegetable broth and for vegan omit the yogurt/sour cream.