Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
The Internet Highway inspires me! SO much to do, so much to see! Low fat? Tasty as can be? Hope you will try this and you will see!
- 1⁄2 lb rigatoni pasta
- 1 tablespoon fat free chicken broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 ounces portabella mushrooms, chopped
- 6 ounces 90% lean ground beef
- 16 ounces tomatoes, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 3 cups nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 8 tablespoons fat-free parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- COOK pasta and DRAIN.
- NOTE: Can be any kind of pasta; I like rigatoni.
- In non stick pan, heat chicken broth and saute onion and mushrooms until soft; ADD ground beef and cook until brown.
- ADD chopped tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper, cinnamon.
- STIR until most of the liquid evaporates (About 7 minutes).
- NOTE: Can use 2 400g canned tomatoes as well.
- NOTE: Can use 12 ounces of 10 percent beef and omit mushrooms.
- In same saucepan that pasta was cooked in, COMBINE eggs, milk and cornstarch (also called cornflour).
- CONSTANTLY stir over low heat for 10 minutes.
- REMOVE from heat, add fat free parmesan cheese and nutmeg.
- In large baking dish, LAYER 1/2 pasta, 1/2 tomato sauce then remaining pasta and remaining tomato sauce.
- COVER with white sauce; make sure to cover all pasta.
- BAKE for 35 minutes at 170°C (325F).
- NOTE: Taste tomato sauce mixture and adjust to your preference; ie if you do not like that much garlic, use 2 or 3 cloves.
This is quite tasty . I used ground turkey to make it lower in fat, and penne pasta. I would add more nutmeg and cinnamon next time (personal preference). Made for camera-less Chef game.