The Internet Highway inspires me! SO much to do, so much to see! Low fat? Tasty as can be? Hope you will try this and you will see!
- 1⁄2 lb rigatoni pasta
- 1 tablespoon fat free chicken broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 ounces portabella mushrooms, chopped
- 6 ounces 90% lean ground beef
- 16 ounces tomatoes, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 3 cups nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 8 tablespoons fat-free parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- COOK pasta and DRAIN.
- NOTE: Can be any kind of pasta; I like rigatoni.
- In non stick pan, heat chicken broth and saute onion and mushrooms until soft; ADD ground beef and cook until brown.
- ADD chopped tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper, cinnamon.
- STIR until most of the liquid evaporates (About 7 minutes).
- NOTE: Can use 2 400g canned tomatoes as well.
- NOTE: Can use 12 ounces of 10 percent beef and omit mushrooms.
- In same saucepan that pasta was cooked in, COMBINE eggs, milk and cornstarch (also called cornflour).
- CONSTANTLY stir over low heat for 10 minutes.
- REMOVE from heat, add fat free parmesan cheese and nutmeg.
- In large baking dish, LAYER 1/2 pasta, 1/2 tomato sauce then remaining pasta and remaining tomato sauce.
- COVER with white sauce; make sure to cover all pasta.
- BAKE for 35 minutes at 170°C (325F).
- NOTE: Taste tomato sauce mixture and adjust to your preference; ie if you do not like that much garlic, use 2 or 3 cloves.