Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Thought this one up on the bus ride home from work one day, trying to figure out what the heck I was going to make that would keep me from having to make a trip to the store but wouldn't have the words 'Hamburger' and 'Helper' in it. I've refined it over time, adding the extra step of baking to prevent over-flavoring with garlic.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup table salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 quart water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dry basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- Trim fat from chicken.
- Pound each breast to an even 1/2 inch thickness.
- Pour water into a large resealable bag.
- Add salt & sugar, shake to dissolve.
- Add chicken.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Remove chicken from bag, pat dry.
- Heat the oil on medium high heat until it begins to shimmer.
- Add garlic, saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken, cook for 8 minutes, turning once.
- Remove from heat.
- Mix the parmesan, basil, sage& cumin in a bowl.
- Dredge the cooked chicken in the parmesan mixture and place in a 9x13 baking pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- While cooking, chop sun-dried tomatoes.
- Once chicken is done (juices run clear), sprinkle chopped tomatoes on top, & bake for 2-3 more minutes.