Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I found this tender, tasty chicken recipe in a recent issue of Cooking Light. It is tender inside with a nice crisp crust! Prep time includes 1 hour of marinating time.
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 chicken breast halves, skinned (about 1 pound)
- 2 chicken drumsticks, skinned (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 chicken thighs, skinned (about 1/2 pound)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- cooking spray
- Combine chicken pieces and buttermilk in a large zip-top bag and marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, turning occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine flour and seasonings in another large plastic bag.
- Remove chicken from first bag (discarding marinade) and shake in flour mixture one piece at a time.
- Shake off excess flour.
- Place chicken pieces on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Lightly coat chicken with cooking spray.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until done, turning after 20 minutes.
Liked how the buttermilk made it moist--hubby liked it as is. Altho i am a huge fan of cumin, i was surprised to find that i didn't care for it here! will definitely do this again, but next time will try rosemary, garlic, basil, oregano, etc.
Nice flavour. Spices were not overpowering. The crust stuck to the pan when I turned the chicken over -- maybe because I didn't use parchment paper? The chicken took about 45 minutes (instead of 35) to cook completely. I would definitely make this again.
I used a whole chicken which I quartered and baked it on at oiled rack at 200C fan forced for 50 minutes though I did leave the skin on and the chicken was nice and moist with the outside being crunchy. When I went to make it I discovered I had no cumin left so subbed chinese five spice and we really enjoyed this especially the DH who is not at all keen on cumin. Thank you Sharlen-W, made for Healthy Choices ABC Tage game.