Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Low Fat Date Nut Muffins
- 2 cups all-bran cereal
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons dark molasses
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, grated
- 1 large egg
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease one 12-cup muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, combine bran cereal, water and oil, stirring until bran softens.
- In a small bowl, whisk buttermilk, Orange Juice, molasses, honey, orange zest, and egg until blended.
- In a small bowl, combine flours, baking soda and salt. Add buttermilk mixture to bran, stirring to combine. Add flour mixture, dates and walnuts to bran mixture, stirring just until flour is moistened.
- Spoon into muffin cups, and bake until top springs back when lightly pressed, about 18 minutes.
- Let cool in pan 5 minutes before removing to wire rack.
Good, not too sweet like many bran muffins. I didn't have enough dates so I added diced, dried apricots and LOVED the additional taste.
Very good. Loved the addition of orange zest and the dates add nice bursts of sweetness. I substituted wheat bran for the all-bran cereal. I also substituted pecans for walnuts. Baked for 15 minutes. Thank you for the recipe. Made for Summer Comfort Cafe 2009.
I made this as a cake and we ate it hot from the oven and the whole family loved it . It made a generous cake and I will freeze the remaining half for school lunches. It was very impressive and healthy recipe .