Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 1⁄4 cups orange juice
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (scant)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 packet gelatin, unflavored
- to taste graham cracker pie crust
- 2 oranges, sectioned
- to taste confectioners' sugar (optional)
- In a heavy saucepan, combine orange juice, milk, yolks, sugar, cornstarch and gelatin until blended. Cook, stirring over medium heat until mixture is smooth and begins to boil.
- Remove from heat, and pour into pie crust when cool.
- Chill for at least one hour or until firm.
- Before serving: For pith-free orange sections, place unpeeled orange on cutting board. With a sharp paring knife, slice off the top and bottom of the orange, cutting deep enough so that no white pith shows.
- Sit the orange on its bottom, and working from the top downwards, shave off the sides of the oranges, cutting deep enough to remove all pith.
- When the orange is completely peeled, cut between the membranes that divide the segments so that again, no pith or membrane shows.
- Lay orange sections on top of pie in concentric circles and serve.
- Just before serving, sprinkle orange segments heavily with confectioners' sugar.
- Place 4 to 6 inches under preheated broiler until browned.