Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this on Yahoo! health online. Wanted to find a healthy use for some of my aging bananas. It's moist and certainly guilt-free!!!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat and barley cereal, nuggets (I substituted 1/2 cup oatmeal here since I didn't have this ingredient)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed (about a cup)
- 1⁄2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute (I didn't have these either so I used 1/4 cup of eggs(about an egg and a half)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray 24 mini-muffin-pan cups with nonstick cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, mix first six ingredients.
- In large bowl, with wire whisk or fork, mix bananas, yogurt, egg substitute (egg) and vanilla well; stir in flour mixture just until moistened.
- Spoon batter into muffin-pan cups.
- Bake muffins 20 minutes or until tops are golden and toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.
- Remove from muffin-pan cups to wire racks.
- Serve warm, or cool to serve later!
- Note: I made these in heart-shaped pans I bought at a local grocery store.
- This recipe only yielded four heart-shaped cakes when I did that, and I baked them for about 45-50 minutes.
I made this recipe because I needed something sweet, healthy, and not fattening since I am on Weight Watchers. This was a great any time snack and very easy to make. It took me no time at all. Baking took the longest. They are delicious right out of the oven or cooled for a few minutes. Try it if you are a muffin lover.
Wow! Great, moist, flavorful muffins. Wouldn't change a thing. Thanks for the egg & cereal tip! One of these muffins and a cup of yogurt makes for a delicious breakfast.
These are great! I made these using the substitutes suggested in the recipe, however I used two egg whites instead of egg. I also used 3 bananas in mine and added 1/4 cup currants. I made these as regular muffins and they were perfectly done in 20 minutes. Yummy!