Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
These muffins do not contain any dairy or oil and are low in sugar. I developed this recipe from a fruit cake recipe I found that I liked because it used the tea and fruit to bind it. This could probably also be made in a loaf tin.
- 1 cup chopped dried fruit (such as sultanas and apricot)
- 1 cup hot brewed black tea
- 2 cups wholemeal self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- Place dried fruit in a bowl.
- Cover the fruit with the hot tea. Allow it to cool.
- Once cooled, mix the tea/fruit mixture with all dry ingredients and the apple sauce. Keep the mixture fairly moist but not too wet.
- Spray a 6 muffin tray with cooking spray.
- Spoon muffin mixture into pan. I like to make these muffins really large.
- Put into an oven that has been pre-heated to 180 to 190 degrees.
- Cook until cake tester comes out clean (between 30 and 40 minutes depending on the size of the muffins).