Vegetarian friendly soup that is filling and good for you!
Make and share this Low Fat Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb assorted fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup wild rice
- 1⁄4 cup brown rice
- 9 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- For this soup, I use 1/2 lb button, 1/4 lb cremini and 1/4 lb shitake mushrooms.
- In a large pot, sautee mushrooms in olive oil until browned.
- Add onions, carrots, celery and garlic and sautee until tender.
- Add flour and thyme and cook for 3-4 mins until flour is cooked into the vegetables.
- Add stock, bay leaf and rice and bring to a boil.
- Simmer soup covered for 45-60 mins until rice is tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and balsamic vinegar if desired.
I used white rice instead of brown rice. And I used chicken stock instead of vegetable stock. It's a wonderful soup. Great flavors from the mushrooms and wild rice. Thanks healthycook :) Made for PAC Fall 2011