Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
A recipe that tastes good and travels.
- 1 2⁄3 cups fruit
- 1⁄3 cup milk (buttermilk, skim milk, or yogurt)
- 3 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 3 tablespoons pinto bean meal
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup water or 2 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup xylitol sugar substitute
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Mix flax and bean meal with enough water to make a mixture something like an egg. The powder will absorb water, so let it sit while you mix other ingredients; it may need more or less, so experiment. Bean flour is a commodity we have here, so I use it, but the idea is to make an egg substitute (egg allergy). 2 eggs could be substituted for the whole of this portion, or 1 egg and the flax with roughly 1/2 the water --
- Mix the fruit and milk with the meal or eggs.
- Mix the xylitol, flour, soda, baking powder & salt.
- Preheat the oven to ~350.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry. The batter should be thick but not too thick. If it is, add more liquid.
- Transfer batter into a greased 9x13 cake pan or if you want, drop into muffin tins (greased or papered). This grease is/can be basically the only fat in the recipe.
- If in muffin tins, bake for ~10 minutes or so. If in cake pan, bake for ~20 minutes or so.