Prep 10 mins
Cook 23 mins
This is a recipe I stumbled upon and thought it would be a great fix for any person with a sweet tooth who is watching their weight!
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached flour, plus
- 1 tablespoon unbleached flour
- 1⁄4 cup oat bran
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 pinch baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup chocolate syrup
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Combine the flour, oat bran, cocoa, sugar, milk powder, and baking soda in a large bowl, and stir to mix well.
- Stir in the chocolate syrup, egg whites, and vanilla extract,.
- Fold in the nuts if desired.
- Coat an 8-inch square pan with nonstick cooking spray. Spread the batter evenly in the pan, and bake at 325 degrees fahrenheit for 23 minutes, or just until the edges are firm and the center is almost set.
- Cool to room temperature, cut into squares, and serve.
This was a fabulous recipe! I used oat flour (I cut the recipe in half)-used 1/4 cup Splenda & sugar free syrup. I used 1/8 tsp baking soda, Eggbeaters & no nuts. At first I thought there wouldn't be enough liquid to match the dry ingredients but it was fine! Mine baked in about 18 minutes. They were wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing this!
Thank you to the person who posted this recipe! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I replaced white sugar with brown sugar with no problems at all :)
I left out the walnuts however I sprinkled slivered almonds on top - next time I will be putting in slivered almonds through the whole slice as they added to the flavour a lot. I will probably go just a touch lighter on the oat bran next time as my husband said he could taste the oat flavour coming through just a touch to more.
Really fantastic recipe for those interested in health - yet still liking to 'enjoy' life. Great for schools, or to take a long to a friends house etc.
4 stars, if not 4.5 stars :-)
Wow! These are AMAZING!! I made them with half splenda half sugar and no nuts. I think these are the only brownies I'm going to make from here on out. I might add nuts next time to make the texture a little more normal and maybe some more chocolate syrup. Possibly fudge syrup. Thanks for the recipe!