1/2 Photos of Low-Fat Minestrone Soup
1 hr 30 mins
This is a wonderful low-fat, vegetarian recipe that my family loves. It comes from a Betty Crocker Low-Fat cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion (about 1 med)
- 3 cups chopped green cabbage (about 1/2 medium head)
- 2 cups chopped zucchini (about 2 small)
- 1 cup slice carrot (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup chopped celery (about 2 medium stalks)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (I"ve used vegetable broth cubes or canned broth)
- 4 cups tomato juice (I use a whole large can)
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed to drain
- grated parmesan cheese, if desired
- 1Heat oil in 8 qt dutch oven over medium heat.
- 2Cook garlic and onion in oil about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender.
- 3Stir in remaining ingredients except cheese, break up tomatoes.
- 4Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- 5Cover and simmer 1 hour.
- 6Serve with grated parmesan cheese.
- 7Freezes well.
- 8Sometimes I cook pasta and add it to the bowl before I ladle out the soup, but it is good as is. Don't add the pasta directly to the soup as it will break down and become a starchy mess.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Low-Fat Minestrone Soup
Serving Size: 1 (492 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 289.9
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1299.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.7 g
- Sugars 15.3 g
- Protein 12.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: