Recipe by Weejee
This is a wonderful low-fat, vegetarian recipe that my family loves. It comes from a Betty Crocker Low-Fat cookbook.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion (about 1 med)
- 3 cups chopped green cabbage (about 1/2 medium head)
- 2 cups chopped zucchini (about 2 small)
- 1 cup slice carrot (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup chopped celery (about 2 medium stalks)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (I"ve used vegetable broth cubes or canned broth)
- 4 cups tomato juice (I use a whole large can)
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed to drain
- grated parmesan cheese, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in 8 qt dutch oven over medium heat.
- Cook garlic and onion in oil about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except cheese, break up tomatoes.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Serve with grated parmesan cheese.
- Freezes well.
- Sometimes I cook pasta and add it to the bowl before I ladle out the soup, but it is good as is. Don't add the pasta directly to the soup as it will break down and become a starchy mess.