Recipe by mickeydownunder
Mediterranean dishes ALWAYS appeal to me! ESPECIALLY is they are THIS light and tasty! My inspiration came from the net! Look forward to the first review I get!
- 1 onion
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons fat-free vegetable broth
- 800 g diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 7 tablespoons fresh basil
- 1 1⁄2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1⁄4 cups mozzarella cheese
- 2 large eggplants
Directions See How It's Made
- HEAT GRILLER/BROILER.
- In saucepan, HEAT 2 tsp lowfat vegetable or chicken broth.
- SAUTE finely diced onion, diced garlic and pepper until soft.
- ADD 2 cans of diced tomatoes, increase heat slightly and cook 15 minutes until sauce thickens slightly;.
- REMOVE from heat and set aside.
- SEPARATE 4 egg whites.
- MIX together bread crumbs, parmesean cheese and italian season (ie mixed italian dry spices, oregano).
- CUT eggplant into 1/4 inch slices.
- DIP eggplant in eggwhite and then COAT with seasoned breadcrumbs and place on prepared cookie sheet.
- NOTE: Prepared cookie sheet can be covered in aluminum foil or use a low fat cooking spray so the eggplant doesn't stick.
- GRILL until brown - about 5 minutes each side.
- PREHEAT oven to 425 degrees.
- LAYER eggplant, tomatoe mixture in a 2 quart baking casserole dish; continue layers and sauce until completed.
- TOP with nonfat mozzerella cheese and BAKE uncovered for 15 minutes.
- NOTE: Top should be lightly brown and cheese bubbly.
- NOTE: I serve with a bed of rocket, feta and a tsp of balsamic vinegar.
- NOTE: Garlic amount is personal preference.