Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
Mediterranean dishes ALWAYS appeal to me! ESPECIALLY is they are THIS light and tasty! My inspiration came from the net! Look forward to the first review I get!
- HEAT GRILLER/BROILER.
- In saucepan, HEAT 2 tsp lowfat vegetable or chicken broth.
- SAUTE finely diced onion, diced garlic and pepper until soft.
- ADD 2 cans of diced tomatoes, increase heat slightly and cook 15 minutes until sauce thickens slightly;.
- REMOVE from heat and set aside.
- SEPARATE 4 egg whites.
- MIX together bread crumbs, parmesean cheese and italian season (ie mixed italian dry spices, oregano).
- CUT eggplant into 1/4 inch slices.
- DIP eggplant in eggwhite and then COAT with seasoned breadcrumbs and place on prepared cookie sheet.
- NOTE: Prepared cookie sheet can be covered in aluminum foil or use a low fat cooking spray so the eggplant doesn't stick.
- GRILL until brown - about 5 minutes each side.
- PREHEAT oven to 425 degrees.
- LAYER eggplant, tomatoe mixture in a 2 quart baking casserole dish; continue layers and sauce until completed.
- TOP with nonfat mozzerella cheese and BAKE uncovered for 15 minutes.
- NOTE: Top should be lightly brown and cheese bubbly.
- NOTE: I serve with a bed of rocket, feta and a tsp of balsamic vinegar.
- NOTE: Garlic amount is personal preference.