Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Homemade macaroni and cheese without the guilt!
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons reduced fat margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2⁄3 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces Velveeta reduced fat cheese product, cubed
- 6 cups cooked elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup Special K cereal, crushed
- Preheat oven 350°F.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add flour and dry mustard. (Roux will be very thick) Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk while you slowly pour. Whisk until sauce is smooth. Bring sauce to a boil, reduce heat to medium low. Cook sauce for 10-15 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken slightly. Remove from heat.
- Add cheeses, stirring well until well blended. Stir in cooked macaroni.
- Spoon mixture onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle crushed cereal on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly.