Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
have not tried yet, but sounds wonderful! Made with low-fat cheese, skim milk and whole wheat flour, you can make your favorite comfort food without the guilt.
- 1 1⁄2 cups macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 ounces low-fat sharp cheddar cheese (9 slices 2/3 oz. each)
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon margarine, softened
- In deep 2-quart casserole dish, sprayed with vegetable cooking spray, layer 1/3 macaroni, 1/2 onion and cheese. Repeat layers, ending with macaroni.
- Whisk milk, broth, flour, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and pepper until well blended. Pour over layers. Mix bread crumbs and margarine. Sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 30 minutes until hot and bubbly.