Prep 10 hrs
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Got this recipe from a work friend who likes to keep the calories down at Christmas time. Surprisingly, for a low sugar low fat Christmas style cake, it is lovely to eat.
- 1 cup sultana
- 1⁄2 cup glace cherries
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup cooked mashed pumpkin
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 cup white lily self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Mix sultanas, raisins, cherries, brandy, water and soak overnight.
- Mix pumpkin, eggs, applice juice, and milk in a bowl.
- Add soaked fruit, nuts, rinds and spices, then flours and bicarbonate of soda.
- Mix well with a wooden spoon as you add the flours.
- Spoon into a lightly greased tin.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 200 degrees C, then turn down to 180 degrees C and cook until baked through (approximately 1 hour).
- Cool on a cake wire.
- Store in the refrigerator.