Recipe by Rita Otay
This is truly a low fat, low sodium desert... The crust isn't as 'crisp' as I would like but it still looks and tastes great... The Phyllo has 220 mg of sodium and the crackers have 40 mg... And with only one tablespoon of fat one could eat the whole pie and still comply with a low fat, low sodium diet.
- 5 sheets phyllo pastry sheets
- 38 oyster crackers, Finely Crushed (the cheap ones have less salt)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon skim milk
- 2 large apples
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (more or less)
- 2 -3 tablespoons cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Core, peel and slice apples. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar and corn starch. Mix and set aside.
- Mix oil and milk. Place one Phyllo sheet on some paper towels, brush with milk mixture, sprinkle about 1/4 of the crushed oyster crackers. Place another sheet on top and repeat. Place sheets in a 9 inch pie pan. Do the same with two more sheets of Phyllo, placing them in the opposite direction.
- Fill pie, sprinkle on the Cinnamon. Take the last sheet of Phyllo and brush with milk mixture, sprinkle the remaining cracker crumbs and fold in half. Place that on top of the pie and fold over and smooth down the edges of the other sheets. Brush top with the milk mixture and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 425Â° F until nicely browned -- .