Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I'm on a low fat low carb diet. But I'm a chocoholic! So I searched and I searched, after not finding anything, I played in the kitchen and I came up with something I'm pretty happy with. It's not the best thing in the world, but when you have to have something kind of sweet and you haven't had your soy protein yet, give it a shot--you might like it.
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 small apples
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup Splenda granular, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup soy protein isolate, that can be used in baking
- 1⁄4 cup wheat gluten flour
- 1⁄4 cup rye flour (this is just one that I had around, you can use others I'm sure it would work)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mortons low sodium salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts (I used almonds)
- Core apples (do not peel everyone can use more fiber).
- Chop the apples up in your food processor into 'minced garlic' sized bits add a bit of water to help the process.
- Toss the apple bits in a pot or a skillet and heat up just before the juice boils then add the cocoa powder.
- Mix it all together so the cocoa is all melted and well blended set aside to cool.
- Mix the flours, soy protein and salt and sift.
- In a separate bowl beat egg whites vanilla and Splenda until soft peaks appear.
- Add flour mixture to the egg mixture and blend well then add the apple-cocoa sauce and blend.
- Mix in the chopped nuts if desired.
- Bake in a non-stick 8-inch square pan for 20-25 minutes at 350°F.
I'm diabetic with liver problems, so am always looking for very low fat foods with a good protein to carb ratio (as opposed to looking for just low carb or low fat). This dessert does a better job than most of getting there. I am allergic to apples so used a large pear in place of the apples, and found the recipe to be tasty, if a little on the dry side. It definitely helped with my chocolate craving, though, and my very picky son loved it, so it's a winner in my book!
while is lower fat, it's not low carb. Apples are a huge no-no while low carbing, and would kick one out of ketosis in a second. NOT recommended for those who are on Atkins, ect.