Recipe by Jademoon
We have been on a diet and doing really well, but was craving cornbread. So, I made up this recipe, and it actually turned out really good. Hope you like it!
Top Review by alligirl
I added this cornbread to my attempt at a low fat, low calorie, filling weeknight meal. It is an interesting cornbread, with slight pepper flavor from the one fresh jalapeno I chopped finely and used. Then you get the slight sweet from the pineapple; making this a palate pleaser! I will tuck this recipe away and pull it out when I'm bored of the same old, same old...Thanks for sharing, Jademoon. Made for Spring PAC 2011 - http://www.food.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=352458&start=0
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons Sugar Twin (or other artificial sweetener)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup soured skim milk (To make soured milk-put 1 TBSP lemon juice or vinegar in a measuring cup, then fill rest of the way )
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup crushed pineapple (drained)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten (or 2 egg whites)
- 1⁄4 cup jalapeno, drained and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F; grease an 8-inch square pan or glass dish.
- Combine corn meal and soured milk in a small bowl and let sit for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, combine other dry ingredients in a larger bowl.
- Add crushed pineapple and egg (or egg whites) to corn meal mixture. Mix until combined.
- Add corn meal mixture to dry ingredients, mix until well combined.
- Add jalapenos and fold into mixture. (If it seems to thick, add a quick splash more milk and mix again).
- Pour into greased pan and cook for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean and the bread is golden brown.
- After cooked, slice into 9 slices and enjoy.