Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 5 mins
I can't believe cake that's low fat and low calorie! I have worked so hard to achieve this! In the past, the flavor was great, but the texture was HORRIBLE! Then, I found this! Please, please, make sure the egg WHITES are folded into the batter...this is so important! Yummy yummy yummy!
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In large bowl mix: flour, Splenda, baking powder and salt.
- Make a well shape in the ingredients.
- Add into the well: YOLKS, water, vanilla extract, and applesauce, (or butter).
- With an electric mixer, beat on high until smooth, (usually 30 seconds).
- In a separate bowl, mix together the WHITES and cream of tartar.
- Beat until stiff peaks form, (usually 3 minutes).
- Slowly and gently, (this part is very important), fold the WHITES in to the smooth batter.
- The batter should look uniform and light in color with no clumps of WHITES.
- However, WHITES must be folded into batter-- not beaten or mixed.
- Pour the batter into a 10-inch tube pan, (sprayed with fat free butter flavor PAM).
- Bake for 60 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and invert over a cake rack.
- Let it cool for 45 minutes-- the cake will gently fall out.
- Remove the pan and yummy yummy yummy!
- Please resist the temptation of whip cream!
- Sliced strawberries would be a nice touch though!
This cake was good, but perhaps a little dry. It was nice to have something different to offer as a Sugar-Free item. The cake went bad quickly (molded), so I might suggest refrigeration afterwards for it.