This basic recipe will fit many vegetables that, when pureed, make a satisfying, hearty winter soup to snack on for weight control. The recipe is modifed from a food magazine article. Vegetable options include: 2 1/2 lbs. parsnips or carrots, peeled and cut into 1" chunks; 3 lbs. butternut squash, peeled and seeded and cut into 1" chunks; 2 lbs. celery root (celeriac), peeled and cut into 1" chunks; 2 lbs. beet, peeled and cut into 1" chunks; 2 1/2 lbs. cauliflower, cored and cut into florets; 2 lbs. celery cut into 1" thick pieces plus 1 baking potato, peeled and cut into 1" chunks; 20 oz. button mushrooms, trimmed and quartered, plus 1 boiling potato, peeled and cut into 1" chunks.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a pot or large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat.
- 2Add onion and season with salt.
- 3Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened: 5-7 minute.
- 4Add vegetable, broth, and enough water to cover (4-5 cups).
- 5Bring to boil; reduce heat to med., simmer until vegetable is tender:about 20 minute.
- 6Working in batches, puree broth and vegetables in blender until smooth, transferring to a clean pot as you work.
- 7To prevent spattering, fill blender only halfway and allow heat to escape.
- 8Remove cap from hole in lid and cover lid firmly with a dish towel.
- 9Adjust soup's consistency with a little water if necessary.
- 10Season with salt and pepper; and add lemon juice to taste.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Low Fat, Low Cal Pureed Vegetable Soups
Serving Size: 1 (93 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 88.6
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 613.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 2.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: