Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I saw this recipe on the Today Show. I modified it a bit and this is the result. A lasagna you don't have to feel bad about eating. To be honest I thought I would never like lasagna with anything but meat in it. This is delicious!! We used the Barilla No Boil Lasagna Noodles and to my surprise they were great what a time saver!! With approx. 330 calories and 15 grams of fat per 7oz serving the only thing you loose is weight. This is truly GREAT! This was made with ground chicken. If you wish you could use ground 97% Lean turkey and save about 20 calories a serving, I prefer the chicken.
- 1⁄2 lb ground chicken
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 cup green pepper, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 26 ounces marinara sauce
- 15 ounces part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sugar
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning (divided)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles (Barilla No Boil Noodles work Great!!)
- Pre heat oven to 375.
- In large pot brown ground chicken.
- Add all veggies and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add sauce, sugar, 1/2 tbsp Italian Seasoning, Red Pepper, Oregano, worcestershire sauce, bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix ricotta cheese with the egg whites, pepper and the remaining 1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning.
- Spray a 13x9x2 pan w/ no stick cooking spray.
- Layer Noodles Cheeses and Sauce as you would lasagna.
- Bake covered w/ foil for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Let Stand for 10 minutes before serving.