Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A lovely low fat lemon tea cake with poppy seeds. My family loves this one so much that the gobble it down soo fast! Like in one day - especially my brother.
- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle, set aside.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients together in another medium sized bowl; pour it in the middle of the dry ingredients, and stir JUST UNTIL IT IS MIXED TOGETHER. If you overstir it, it will become a tough piece of crap.
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees and wait 2 minutes; grease a loaf pan(9x5x2 1/2 i think).
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until the crust is brown and if you stick a toothpick inside it will come out clean.
I really liked this. Trying to watch my calories, I subbed Splenda for the sugar, used 1/2 c. of applesauce in place of the oil, added lemon zest and used 2% milk. Calories ended up being 97 with less than a gram of fat. Thanks for sharing..I will make this again.
This turned out pretty good. I replaced the oil with 1/2 cup of applesauce. I also doubled the lemon juice, added the zest from the two lemons I used and added 1/2 a teaspoon of freshly ground cardomon. So, it had plenty of flavor. I was very careful not to over mix. I was definitely not looking to bake 'a tough piece of crap' :) The texture was okay. It was better the next day. And with the oil substitute and using fat free milk it turned out to be only 2 points per slice, not bad at all!
it was very tasty with milk(not only tea) thanks. =)