Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Tweaked recipe from America's Test Kitchen; the recipe does not seem to be available online anymore... My only change is that I substitute fat-free greek yogurt for the low-fat sour cream, but I'll bet Splenda for Baking can also be subbed for the sugar.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup fat free Greek yogurt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon zest (approx. 2 lemons)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Zest and juice lemons, saving each separately. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in large mixing bowl. In another bowl whisk together the yogurt, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Add zest to sugar in large mixing bowl. Add butter and shortening to sugar mixture and beat until it’s light and fluffy. Then add eggs in one at a time, mixing to combine.
- Alternate between incorporating the flour and the sour cream mixture into the butter/egg mixture. Three additions of flour, in between two additions of the sour cream mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Spray a loaf pan with non-stick spray, pour in batter and tap on counter to dislodge any bubbles. Bake for 60-70 minutes or until toothpick inserted into middle comes out clean. Remove to cooling rack.
- If you prefer a super-moist cake, poke deep holes with wooden skewer or similar tool to help glaze penetrate. Glaze while cake is still warm. If you prefer the glaze to coat the top of the cake, don't poke holes and allow cake to cool before glazing.
- To glaze, mix together confectioner's sugar and lemon juice and drizzle generously over cake. Serve alone, or with berries, reduced-fat Cool Whip, ice cream, you name it!