Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Nonfat yogurt makes this a nice moist muffin without adding the fat.
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1⁄3 cup margarine, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 egg whites or 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons fresh gingerroot, fine chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon peel, fine grated
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- Spray or line muffin tins.
- In a large bowl, beat the margarine and sugar till fluffy.
- Beat in the egg whites, on at a time, or egg substitute.
- Add ginger root and lemon peel.
- In a separate bowl, add baking soda to yogurt and stir; mix will bubble.
- Fold flour into margarine mixture one third at a time, alternating with yogurt.
- Blend well.
- Divide the batter evenly into tins.
- Bake 18-20 minutes, till golden brown.