Recipe by kabu
I used the heart smart Honey Almond Biscotti as a base mixture for experimentation and came up with these guys. A yummy lemon fix for calorie counters. Tip: I found fine ground almonds in the bulk aisle in Save On Foods. The 3/4 cup dried cranberries can be substituted with whole or ground almonds, or diced candied ginger, or whatever you like, really.
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 3⁄4 cup unblanched whole almonds, ground fine
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg (optional) or 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1 lemon, juice of, plus water to fill 1/3 cup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- 1 lemon, zest of
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F and prepare a baking pan 13-15 inches long with iether cooking spray or parchment.
- Combine wet ingredients: honey, water, lemon juice and zest, vanilla and set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients including cranberries and almonds and stir to combine.
- Add wet mix to dry and stir till all ingredients are combined into dough.
- Divide dough in half and make 2 logs 12-15 inches long; space well apart on pan.
- Bake at 350°F for about 30 minutes till light golden color.
- Cool for 2 minutes and slice logs diagonally at 1/2 inch or thinner intervals with a sharp knife.
- Place biscotti cut side down on pan and bake about 15 minutes at 300°F until lightly colored and dry.
- Allow to cool in the pan and store in an airtight container.